We love a good cake and this apple and blueberry crumble cake hits all the notes. Moist and not too sweet, with an abundance of apples, blueberries and a crunchy crumble topping, finished with almonds and sugar. Delicious.
Apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds is almost a cross between a pudding and a cake. Almonds, crumble and sugar create the topping covering a thick layer of sliced and spiced apples atop a rich butter cake swimming with blueberries.
This cake is just as happy served with custard or whipped cream.
Granny smith apples are our apple of choice for this apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds. The mixed spice along with the crunchy crumble, almond and demerara sugar topping adds sweetness to the tart and crisp Granny smith apple slices.
Apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds can be made gluten free by simply using gluten free self raising flour. Too easy!
To prepare the crumble simply use your fingers and rub the chilled butter through the flour and sugar till you have small lumps of butter, sugar and flour mixed together.
The batter for apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds is quite thin. When adding apples gently press them into the batter just to remove any air pockets amongst the apple slices.
Check out our other great cakes
What’s your favourite apple cake recipe?
Leave a comment below and let us know!
This moist apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds is a winner. Serve with a dollop of fresh cream for morning or afternoon tea.
- 3 medium granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice – some for crumble and some for apples
- 9 ounces (250 g) castor sugar
- 250 g (9 ounces) butter – chilled
- 9 ounces (250 g) self raising flour or gluten free self raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 3 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- line side and base of a 8 1/2 inch (22 cm) springform cake tin with baking paper – see notes
- preheat oven to 355 f (180 c) bake, not fan
- peel, core and thinly slice apples
- toss apples with lemon juice and 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- rub 2 ounces each of butter, flour and sugar along with 1 teaspoon of mixed spice in a bowl till crumbly
- melt remaining butter gently
- in a medium bowl mix eggs and sugar with an electric beater for 3 minutes
- add cooled butter, flour and blueberries and mix till combined
- pour mixture into springform pan
- top with apples and gently press apples into batter
- sprinkle almonds and demerara sugar evenly over top of cake
- place in centre shelf of oven and bake for 50-55 minutes
- test cake with a skewer
- remove from oven and place tin on a cake rack for 15 minutes
- release side of springform and leave to cool
- slide cake onto serving plate
- serve and enjoy!
- lightly spray springform with oil to hold paper in place
- Category: cakes and desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple blueberry crumble cake