Beef bourguignon pie is an absolute knock out. Melt in the mouth beef, mushrooms, pancetta or bacon and red wine creates a delicious sauce that the sour cream pastry encases, delivering a pie to be prized, and proud to serve. This recipe is from our beef bourguignon, make double the recipe and freeze for days when a hot, delicious pie is just what the doctor ordered.
If making pastry scares you…..this is the pastry for you!
Rich, tender, melt-in the-mouth, flaky and a complete doddle to make and work with. Jen is our resident pastry maker, whipping up time consuming puff pastry with complete ease and delivery. Whereby I, am never that confident making pastry and discovered this sour cream pastry that was heaven sent.
This pastry could not be easier to make. Throw everything in the food processor and blitz till you have a ball of pastry, wrap in cling film, refrigerate, then roll away. Success every time! Two minutes go to whoa!
It pays to prepare ahead making beef bourguignon pies
Whenever we make our beef bourguignon we always make enough to freeze ahead for days that you simply thaw the beef, make some very quick sour cream pastry, fill and bake!
What’s your favourite go to pastry?
We would love to har from you when you make these beef bourguignon pie in the comments below.Print
You’ll be proud to serve these delicious pies. Moreish, flaky pastry with a delicious beef, mushroom and red wine filling.
- one quantity beef bourguignon recipe – press link here > beef bourguignon- beef, mushroom & red wine casserole
Sour cream pastry
- 2 cups all purpose (plain) flour
- 8 ounces (225 g) chilled cubed salted butter
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 egg lightly beaten – for brushing top of pies
Beef Bourguignon – beef, mushroom & red wine casserole
- chill beef bourguignon after making or thaw in fridge overnight if using frozen
Sour cream pastry
- place flour and cubed butter in food processor
- pulse till butter resembles coarse breadcrumbs
- add sour cream and continue to pulse until a ball forms
- shape dough into a round flat disc
- wrap dough in plastic film and refrigerate for 20 minutes
- lightly flour bench for rolling
- roll chilled pastry and use a 8 inch (20 cm) side plate to cut bases
- place pastry in springform tin leaving an overlap
- spoon chilled beef bourguignon mixture into tin
- brush overlapping sides with beaten egg
- cut out pie top and place on top of beef
- crimp overlapping pastry
- brush top of pie with beaten egg
- cut a small cross in the middle of pie with the tip of a knife
- bake for 20 minutes on middle shelf preheated oven 420 f (220 c)
- reduce heat to 350 f (180 c) and bake for a further 5-10 minutes till golden brown
- remove pies from oven and release sides of springform tin
- serve and enjoy!
- these pies are made from beef bourguignon that had been frozen and thawed overnight prior to making pies
- timing of the recipe is based on the above
- Category: Meat and chicken
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French