Blueberry friands with orange zest are light and tender little almond cakes, perfect for afternoon tea. They can be made in record time, ready to pop in the oven.
There is no creaming or fussing, everything goes into a bowl and gets mixed then spooned into your baking tin…too easy! Theyʼre the perfect bite to make using left over egg whites.
Youʼll be hooked on these perfect little bites when you realise just how super easy and delicious they are to make. The blueberries become all jammy and the colour is a wonderful deep purple.
We love to bake, and these little almond and blueberry morsels are a favourite of ours.
Donʼt have a friand tin simply bake them in a muffin tin.
Have a heap of hazelnut meal or pistachio meal, swap it out for the almond meal.
No blueberries, replace them with strawberries, boysenberries, raspberries or blackberries.
Freezing egg whites
Weʼre always freezing egg whites and labelling the number of whites in little ziplock bags. This is such a handy thing to do and friands are perfect for using up leftover egg whites.
Check out some more winning sweet recipes
- chocolate macadamia chip cookies
- cranberry white chocolate and pistachio cookies
- chocolate almond cookies
- condensed milk coconut macaroons
- banana bread with chocolate chips
What’s your favourite sweet recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Blueberry friands with orange zest are a lovely light little almond morsel perfect for afternoon tea. They are best eaten within 2-3 days after baking. Delicious!
- 6 large egg whites at room temperature
- 5 ounces (150 g) butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- extra melted butter for greasing pan
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar sifted – see notes
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1/2 cup plain (all purpose ) flour
- finely grated zest of 1 medium orange (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 120 g (4 ounces) fresh blueberries
- preheat oven to 200 c (390 f) bake or 180 c ( 355 f ) if using a fan forced oven
- lightly grease friand or muffin pan with extra melted butter
- whisk egg whites till loosely whisked – see photo above
- add all other ingredients to egg whites and mix gently till blended
- spoon into tins about half way up the pan
- bake on middle shelf of oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- dust with a little extra icing sugar
- serve and enjoy!
- you can use either icing sugar or icing sugar mixture
- Category: baking
- Method: bench top and oven
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: blueberry friands with orange zest