Blueberry streusel muffins
are just what the doctor ordered when you’re craving something a little sweet and moreish. Chock full of deep blue, coloured blueberries, I kid myself that the blueberries are very good for me so it must be ok to devour 2 of these in one sitting (or standing). We love the way the blueberries burst and add a fabulous deep purple colour to the muffin.
Making muffins is pretty much foolproof and they are super quick to prepare and bake. They are moist, and the streusel adds a sweet and crunchy topping that lifts the eating game. Just about all sweet muffins should have a streusel topping in our opinion.
The simple rule for making moreish muffins
Once you combine the wet and dry ingredients stir through just enough to combine the mixture. Then stop mixing. Over mixing develops the gluten in the flour resulting in a tough, dry crumb. That’s it……. Easy!
Crumble topping, call it whatever you like, when a muffin is topped with this combination of butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon it’s sure to be elevated to be known as the yummiest muffin.
Blueberry streusel muffins aren’t a sickly sweet muffin, but when the blueberries combine with the gorgeous streusel the muffin really shines.
Swap out the blueberries
Don’t have blueberries, use
- boysenberries…..you get the picture.
Check out these other winning baking recipes
click on the link for the recipe….edna’s lemon curd cake
click on the link for the recipe…..pear and almond crustless tart gluten free
click on the link for the recipe….. Plum Streusel Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..easy pavlova strawberry and almond roll
What’s your favourite muffin recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these delicious blueberry streusel muffins.Print
Blueberry streusel muffins are perfect to whip up in minutes for breakfast, morning tea, lunch or even before bed. Just the right amount of sweet and fruit combined.
- 2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1 cup full fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 punnet 125 g (4 1/2 ounces) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 110 g (4 ounces) butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- melt butter
- combine flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon
- mix with a fork till combined and crumbly
- set aside
- preheat oven to 205 c (400 f)
- combine flour, sugar, blueberries, salt and baking powder in a bowl and mix together
- in a seperate bowl whisk sugar and eggs till pale (2-3 minutes)
- add yogurt, oil and vanilla to egg mixture and whisk till combined
- add wet ingredients to dry
- gently combine ingredients – do not over beat, see notes
- scoop batter into muffin tin or (muffin cases) about 2/3 way up
- sprinkle each muffin generously with streusel mixture
- place in oven on middle shelf and turn heat down to 190 c (375 f)
- bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes away clean
- cool in tin for 5 minutes
- remove muffins to cake rack to cool
- serve and enjoy!
- it is important not to overmix the batter once you combine the wet and dry ingredients
- just mix till mixture is combined as overmixing develops the gluten in the flour and results in a tough crumb
- Category: baking
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Germany
Keywords: blueberry streusal muffins