Brown sugar and ginger glazed carrots are sweet, sticky caramelised and a complete winner as a side dish. We love to roast these carrots in the oven on high heat to caramelise and bathe the carrots with butter, brown sugar and orange juice, resulting in a deep concentrated flavour.
Roasting carrots brings out the natural sweetness and adding orange juice, zest and ginger adds flavour to the buttery caramelised result. Winner!
Toasted pecan nuts go so well and bring a little crunch to the carrots, along with the sweetness of the brown sugar and juice.
Don’t overcook your carrots
Nobody likes soggy carrots. Carrots that still have a little ‘tooth bite’ are what we’re looking for here. By roasting on a high heat you get all that delicious caramelisation that brings extra flavour to your carrot dish.
Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas
These carrots make a perfect side dish for the holidays. They can be prepared a couple of days ahead and kept in a plastic bag in the fridge ready to tumble out and roast.
It’s an easy, delicious and inexpensive side dish that is also excellent for midweek or entertaining.
Check out some more winning vegetable recipes
- candied sweet potatoes
- roasted cauliflower salad with garlic yoghurt dressing
- crispy roast potatoes
- spicy red lentils with capers and currants
- asparagus with prosciutto and blue cheese
- asparagus with Hollandaise
What’s your favourite carrot recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Roasted carrots with butter, brown sugar, ginger and orange juice is a perfect side dish.
- 2 bunches baby carrots, washed and lightly peeled
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 50 g (2 ounces) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts
- zest of one orange
- 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to season
- preheat oven to 190 c (375 f)
- melt butter
- in a bowl add butter, orange juice, brown sugar, oil, zest and ginger, mixing till blended
- toss carrots into mix and coat
- spread carrots and nuts evenly over a baking sheet
- roast for 30 minutes or until golden
- serve and enjoy!
- Category: vegetables
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: Australian
Keywords: brown sugar and ginger glazed carrots
Cooper galloping along our dry as a bone country lane, at full speed. We had rain yesterday on Christmas day and amazingly the grass has already started to shoot green. Sadly, the rain fell a long way short of the 80 mls ( over 3 inches) that had been forecast. Even the agapanthus that you ‘can’t kill with an axe’ are starting to show signs of stress from a lack of water. Jen has booked for a water delivery on the 30th of December as a precaution, sadly, she feels she will be getting a delivery as further rainfall is unlikely.