Candied Sweet Potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes are sticky, sweet and bathed in butter, brown sugar and orange juice. In a word, delicious. The perfect partner for a baked ham and they are a must for the holidays.
These are a must for our annual Boxing day meal of baked ham served with these candied sweet potatoes, which we also bake fresh pineapple chunks into the glorious butter, brown sugar and orange sauce. Serve these with boiled and buttered baby chat potatoes, tossed with freshly chopped Italian parsley, along with fresh green beans, frenched, and you have a meal worthy of all of the compliments. A simple meal, but one we look forward to on an annual basis. Each. And. Every. Year! Big fat yum.
Even sized potatoes
So they cook at the same time, it is important to cut the pieces into roughly the same size. By selecting sweet potatoes that are close to the same size means your sweet potatoes will cook evenly.
Pre cooking the potatoes
Pre cooking the potatoes till they are just tender allows for further cooking in the butter, brown sugar and orange juice so the potatoes absorb the gorgeous sweet buttery juices before the butter and sugar burns.
The sauce is delicious, sticky and sweet
It’s all about the sauce in this recipe. It takes yummy tasting sweet potatoes into another dimension. Lusciously coated and drunk with the flavours of butter, orange juice and brown sugar. They are like a sponge that simply soak up all of the glorious flavours to deliver a stunning vegetable dish that entices the palate. Can’t get enough of these babies!
Check out some more winning vegetable recipes
- crispy roast potatoes
- roasted cauliflower salad with garlic yoghurt dressing
- asparagus with prosciutto and blue cheese
- creamy muffin tin potato stacks
- zucchini fritters with a turkish twist
Click on the link above for the recipes
What’s your favourite sweet potato recipe?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these delicious candied sweet potatoes.Print
Candied sweet potatoes are sticky, sweet and bathed in butter, brown sugar and orange juice. What’s not to like?
- 3 even sized sweet potatoes, weighing about 350g (12 ounces) each
- 50 g (2 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- peel and cut sweet potatoes into 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) slices
- put sweet potatoes in a pot of water and bring to the boil
- cook potatoes till just tender
- drain potatoes and spread evenly into a baking dish
- melt the butter
- add orange juice, zest and brown sugar to the butter
- pour this mixture over the sweet potatoes
- bake in oven for 25 minutes
- turn potatoes and bake for a further 25 minutes
- serve and enjoy!
- Category: vegetables
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: candied sweet potatoes
Despite the fact that Retrievers are reputed to be fast learners, when it comes to food this Retriever can’t help himself.
Cooper locked off the deck while we do a photo shoot aged about 6 months
Cooper locked off the deck while we do a photo shoot aged about 8 months
And again. Cooper locked off the deck while we do a photo shoot aged about 11 months