Cauliflower and bacon chowder is put together with everyday ingredients you’re likely to have on hand. Creamy, chunky, loaded with veggies and flavoured with wonderful smoky bacon. What’s not to like.
Today we’ve used frozen cauliflower as we’re in lockdown even though we are still able to go to the supermarkets. We loaded frozen veggies into the freezer in preparation as this corona virus started changing all of our lives. Who knew we’d ever be buying frozen veg, apart from frozen peas. Not us !
Even though we seldom have supermarket frozen veg at home we were pleasantly surprised with the cauli. All natural, nothing added, freshly frozen and no nasties Australian cauliflower is just fine by us.
In general we’re not fans of puréed soups that just taste the same mouthful, after mouthful, instead preferring soups with body. Chunky chowders are fabulous for getting loads of veggies into you when the weather starts to cool down. Some days putting a big pot of soup on and bunkering down at home is just what we need, just not day in, day out.
Watch How To Make Cauliflower and Bacon Chowder
Please scroll to the bottom for the recipe
check out some more winning cauliflower recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Garlic Yoghurt Dressing
click on the link for the recipe…..Cauliflower Pasta Bake with Bacon and Mushroom
click on the link for the recipe…..Cauliflower Soup with Burnt Butter – Gluten Free
click on the link for the recipe…..Cauliflower, Lentil and Tomato Curry
click on the link for the recipe…..Cauliflower with Blue Cheese Gratin
What’s your favourite cauliflower recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious cauliflower and bacon chowder.
Cauliflower and bacon chowder is as warming as it sounds. Loads of veggies in a thickened creamy soup with plenty of bacon adding to the flavour. What’s not to like.
- 4 large rashers of bacon, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 50g (2 ounces) butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 4 fat cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 litres (4 pints) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup thick cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 500g (1 pound) cauliflower florets, cut into bite sized pieces – we used frozen florets and cut them into smaller pieces (this is a bunker down corona virus recipe after all)
- 400g (14 ounce) tin of corn niblets, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
- chives, snipped to garnish
- in a large heavy based pot add oil and bacon
- cook for 3 minutes to render fat
- add butter and melt
- add onions, carrot, celery and potatoes and stir for 2 minutes
- now add garlic and stir for another 2 minutes
- add stock, stirring and bring to a boil
- reduce heat and add cauliflower, simmer for 5-6 minutes
- add parmesan, salt, pepper and cream
- using a stick blender blend about a quarter of the soup so as you still have a lot of chunky pieces
- add corn and stir through, simmering for 2 minutes
- garnish with snipped chives
- soup freezes well
- Category: soups
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American concept, but Australian recipe
Keywords: cauliflower and bacon chowder
So Cooper has a little mate called Bailey who lives at the bottom of the lane and likes to tease Cooper when he’s on a walk with his Mum. Bailey wanders in and out of the hedge which Cooper can’t do and so Cooper is stuck on the inside while Bailey plays just out of reach of Cooper. Coopers not amused!