Cauliflower with blue cheese gratin is a winning combination. Cauliflower and cheesy sauce bubbling with golden breadcrumbs is irresistible, pure comfort food. Delicious served with grilled lamb chops or steamed fish or with your favourite roast.
It’s important not to overcook the cauliflower. Steaming is great as the cauliflower doesn’t become ‘waterlogged’. Cook till a knife inserted to the stem still has some resistance. The cauliflower will continue cooking in the oven.
The all in one béchamel sauce for the gratin freezes well. When making the sauce it’s a good idea to make double so as to freeze for a future gratin.
We prefer a strong tasting blue cheese but if you like a mild blue such as Castello use that instead. You can, of course, make the sauce with cheddar cheese.
Gratins freeze well. Perfect for making ahead and removing from the freezer to bake into a glorious bubbling, golden comfort food with complete ease. Think silverbeet, broccoli or potato gratin.
Check out our other cauliflower recipes
- cauliflower, lentil and tomato curry
- cauliflower soup and burnt butter
- indian vegetable curry
- cauliflower pasta bake with bacon and mushrooms
What’s your favourite vegetable gratin?
Golden, bubbling cauliflower with blue cheese gratin is pure comfort food. Topped off with crunchy bread crumbs for extra texture.
- 1 pint (600 ml) full cream milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces (60 g) butter
- 2 ounces (60 g) all purpose (plain) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) blue cheese – see notes
- 1 medium cauliflower cut cored and cut into large florets
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs or 3 slices white bread cut into small cubes
- 2 ounces (50 g) butter
- place milk, butter, flour, nutmeg and pepper into saucepan
- whisk over medium-high heat until butter melts and sauce thickens – about 5-7 minutes
- allow sauce to simmer gently for a minute
- add blue cheese and whisk through sauce
- remove from heat until ready to use
- you will need a 10 inch (25 cm ) square baking dish
- preheat oven to 365 f (185 c)
- cut cauliflower into large florets
- place in steamer with lid over medium-high heat
- steam for 3-4 minutes
- remove cauliflower from steamer and place evenly into baking dish
- melt butter and add bread crumbs tossing to cover in butter
- pour sauce over cauliflower
- sprinkle cheese over cauliflower then add bread crumbs
- bake until golden and bubbling
- serve and enjoy!
- we used a danish blue cheese but you can use gorgonzola, Roquefort or any other blue cheese that you fancy. You can also replace the blue cheese for cheddar cheese
- Category: vegetables
- Method: stove top and oven
- Cuisine: English