Chocolate almond cake is one stunning rich, dense, fudgy and very chocolatey little number. One that you need in your repertoire. Just 5 ingredients and 50 minutes cooking till you’ve got a cake that will win over everyone.
Now this cake would be a ten served just as is with some freshly whipped cream, but to really turn it into a ‘little black dress of cakes’ we slather it with chocolate ganache, and then sprinkle with toasted almonds. OMG, talk about over the top, but in a really elegant way this cake will turn any meal into fine dining.
This is a cake that we trot out year round for its simple deliciousness.
Depending on what part of the world you live almond meal could be called almond flour or ground almonds. What you need is 100% almonds and nothing else, so check out the label.
As this cake is made with almond meal it is gluten free.
Check out some more winning cake recipes
click on the link…..Edna’s Lemon Curd Cake
click on the link…..Orange and Almond Cake
click on the link…..Plum Streusel Cake
click on the link…..Sicilian Apple Cake
click on the link…..Easy Moist Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Icing
What’s your favourite chocolate cake recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Jill Dupleix’s ‘Incredibly Wonderful Chocolate Cake’ recipe is an adaptation of a superb Elizabeth David recipe. It is rich, dense and slightly fudgy, but not in a cloying way like mud cake. It’s a winner!
- 250g (9 ounces) dark cooking chocolate finely chopped – see notes
- 150g (5 1/4 ounces) castor sugar
- 150g (5 1/4 ounces) butter
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) almond meal (almond flour)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup thickened (heavy) cream
- 200g (7 ounces) dark chocolate – see notes
ganache – make your ganache before starting the cake
- in a small saucepan add cream and chopped chocolate
- bring to a simmer and stir till chocolate is melted and mixture is combined
- remove from heat and refrigerate till cool and thickened (about an hour)
- preheat oven to 180c (350f) on bake, not fan force
- butter and flour a 20cm (8 inch) cake tin an cut a disc of baking paper for the base
- melt butter, sugar and chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water
- remove from heat and stir thoroughly
- add almond meal (almond flour) and blend, then beat in egg yolks, one by one
- in a separate bowl beat egg whites till stiff and peaked
- add a couple of spoonfuls of egg whites and mix to slacken the mixture, then gently fold through remaining egg whites
- pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes
- leave cake in the tin to cool
- remove cake from tin
- spread ganache over cake top and sides and sprinkle toasted almonds over cake
- serve and enjoy!
- we used Lindt Dessert 70% Cocoa cooking chocolate
- Category: cakes and desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: chocolate and almond cake
Aww, just look at this gorgeous little bundle. Flicking through some images of Coops on the day we picked him up, even then he’d been into some water!
Cooper, like all retrievers loves water (and air con) and has his very own little hard plastic swimming pool so he can just have a swim whenever he likes, which is a lot.