Who doesn’t like a creamy potato bake? Thin slices of potato swathed in cream, garlic, a dusting of nutmeg and each layer sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
Call it creamy potato bake, potatoes Dauphinoise or potatoes au gratin, the results are the same. It really is the ultimate potato side dish and is very easy, and simple to put together.
It’s luxurious, silky and loaded with flavour. The world is just fine when potato, cream and cheese get together in our opinion.
What to serve creamy potato bake with
- roast meats
- grilled snags or chops
- grilled chicken
- or simply by itself for a bowl of comfort food
This recipe comes from UK born, Australian cook Valli Little. Valli wrote for Delicious magazine and was an imaginative and well travelled cook whose recipes were always failsafe. Sadly Valli passed away in 2017, but thankfully her recipes live on.
We have used red Pontiac potatoes for this recipe. You can save on time by not peeling them if you like.
other potato suggestions:
- Yukon golds
- maris piper
- any good starchy potato
If you don’t own a mandolin in your kitchen arsenal we recommend you get yourself one. This very sharp slicing tool allows you to cut potatoes uniformly and evenly.
You don’t have to spend a fortune, as an inexpensive plastic mandolin will do the job quicker than a sharp knife. This handy tool was just made for potato bake but a sharp knife will get the job done, albeit it with a little more time.
Watch How To Make our Creamy Potato Bake
Subscribe to our newsletter and follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
scroll down to the bottom for the recipe ⬇️
check out some more winning potato recipes
click on the link for the recipe….Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Caper Dressing
click on the link for the recipe….Pommes Anna
click on the link for the recipe…..Potato Galette with Duck Fat and Caraway
click on the link for the recipe….Easy Crispy Hasselback Potatoes
click on the link for the recipe…..Crispy Roast Potatoes
What’s your favourite potato recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Creamy potato bake is a classic French potato dish that is soft, buttery and luxurious with cream. Perfect as a side dish and reheats beautifully.
- 600g (9 ounces) potatoes (about 4 large) peeled, or unpeeled
- 165ml (5 1/2 fl oz) cream
- 165ml (5 1/2 fl oz) full cream milk
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 50g (2 ounces) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) butter cut into small cubes
- a 1 1/2 litre (3 pint) baking dish
- preheat oven to 180c – 360f bake not fan
- slice potatoes thinly using a mandolin or by hand
- mix milk, cream, salt, pepper, garlic and nutmeg in a jug
- start with a thin layer of potatoes, pour about 1/4 cup of the cream mixture over potatoes
- sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over potatoes
- add another layer of potatoes and keep repeating layers till all of the ingredients are used
- dot cubed butter over the top
- place a piece of baking paper over the potatoes
- cover tightly with tinfoil
- place on middle shelf of oven and cook for 1 hour
- take potatoes from oven and remove foil and baking paper
- pop potatoes back into the oven for a further 25-30 minutes till golden and bubbling
- serve and enjoy!
- Category: vegetables
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: creamy potato bake, potato bake, easy potato bake, potatoes, side dishes, potato, potatoes au gratin, potato dauphinoise