Creamy vanilla rice custard is just that. Perfectly cooked creamy rice, bathed in a deconstructed vanilla custard, scented with vanilla. Who doesn’t love a creamy rice custard. Yum
Creamy vanilla rice custard is a dish that we’re sure many people grew up eating. Popular in our grandmothers time and for good reason. It’s pure comfort food. We grew up eating rice custard served with cold canned peaches or apricots, and still like it that way today.
A lot of rice custards are baked, but this version is all done on the stove top.
blanch the rice
Bring a small pot of water to the boil and add rice, bringing back to the boil and then boiling for 2 minutes before straining. This removes the thin layer of starch from the surface of each grain and helps to stop the grains sticking together. It also partially cooks the rice.
Adding in cold butter straight from the fridge brings the temperature of the rice custard down just enough so you can add the egg yolks without cooking them.
Adding the egg yolks to the milk, sugar and vanilla completes the ingredients for making a custard, except the yolks are added at the end of the cooking process, rather than at the beginning.
Watch How To Make It
scroll to the bottom for the easy creamy vanilla rice custard recipe
check out some more winning dessert recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Lemon Curd and Almond Rolled Pavlova.
click on the link for the recipe…..Lemon Lava Cakes
click on the link for the recipe…..French Apple Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Chocolate Almond Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Peach and Raspberry Streusel Cake
What’s your go-to rice custard recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
- 200g (7 ounces) arborio rice
- 900 ml (30 fl ounces) full cream milk
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- or 1 vanilla pod, split with a sharp knife and scrape the seeds
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch of fine salt
- 30g (1 ounce) cold butter
- fill a medium pot with water and bring it to a boil
- rinse rice in a strainer under cold water and add it to the boiling water
- boil rice for 2 minutes then strain
- in a large heavy based pot add milk, sugar and vanilla
- gently heat till it barely reaches boiling point
- add the hot rice into the hot milk mixture
- allow mixture to gently simmer for 35 minutes, stirring from time to time, then turn the heat off
- stir in butter with a wooden spoon till butter is incorporated
- add in egg yolks and salt, stirring till custard is a nice pale yellow colour
- serve either hot or cold
- Category: cakes and desserts
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: creamy vanilla rice custard
Cooper loves to steal Steves hat, sunglasses, socks ……. really anything he can glab and then he thinks it’s a game if Steve tries to retrieve what’s been stolen!