Crispy Roast Potatoes. Who doesn’t like golden brown chunks of potato, crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They’re roasted in a garlic and rosemary infused extra virgin olive oil, then when golden they’re tossed in the fried garlic and rosemary that infused the oil, and dusted with salt flakes and fresh pepper. Add a smidge of finely chopped parsley, and you’re good to go. Devine!
Why this works
Parboiling the potatoes with salt and bicarb soda (baking soda) breaks down the potato surfaces, creating tons of starchy slurry for added surface area and crunch. When the potatoes are just cooked you drain them and then give them a good toss to make all of the edges fluffy. Fluffy equals crunch!
Infusing the oil
Infusing the extra virgin olive oil with rosemary, garlic and pepper makes for a delicious flavoured oil that the potatoes absorb to further make them addictive.
Check out some more winning vegetable recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Asparagus with prosciutto and blue cheese
click on the link for the recipe…..Brussel Sprouts Sautéed with Bacon, Onion and Garlic
click on the link for the recipe…..Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Whats your go-to way to make your potatoes crispy?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these crispy roast potatoes.Print
Crispy roast potatoes are the ultimate crispy roast potato, crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Infused with garlic and rosemary then seasoned with the strained garlic and rosemary along with salt, pepper and parsley. They are the Best!
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda (baking soda)
- 1 kilo (2 pounds) potatoes suitable for baking, cut into large uniform chunks
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or duck fat
- 1/4 cup rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- salt flakes and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- preheat oven to 230c (450f) bake
- add salt and bicarb to water and bring to a boil
- add potatoes and cook till just knife tender (not completely tender)
- whilst potatoes cook heat oil, rosemary and garlic in a small pan, cooking 2-3 minutes or until garlic just changes colour
- immediately strain oil into a bowl that you will later toss the potatoes in, reserving the garlic and rosemary
- strain potatoes and allow to steam for a couple of minutes
- toss potatoes in the strained oil along with salt and pepper till edges are fluffy and roughed up
- spread potatoes evenly on a rimmed baking dish leaving space between each potato
- place potatoes on middle shelf of oven and bake for 25 minutes
- remove potatoes and turn them over, return to oven
- roast potatoes for a further 30 minutes or until they are crisp and golden
- tip potatoes into a bowl and toss with reserved garlic and rosemary along with the parsley and salt and pepper
- serve and enjoy!
- keep an eye on the oil with garlic and rosemary when heating as garlic will very quickly burn otherwise, and strain immediately the garlic is a light golden colour
- Category: Baking
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crispy roast potatoes
Cooper at 14 weeks
We came across these photos recently and had to think where they were taken, then we realised it was here at home. It has been so long since we have had any meaningful rain, the lawns are dead, and the shrubs and gardens are either dead, or dying!