Crispy smashed potatoes with walnut chilli dressing are going to send you into a spin. Crunchy, golden and crispy potato served with sour cream and topped with a delicious dressing.
The dressing is made by simmering olive oil, walnuts and anchovies till the walnuts are toasty and golden. Then quickly add some finely minced garlic so the oil splutters and cooks the garlic, followed by the addition of plump, sweet raisins and the deliciously mild Aleppo chilli.
Little pops of sweet raisins amongst the savoury flavours, a great range of textures, a little heat, and the in between creamy, and crunchy potatoes. Sour cream and potatoes are a match made in heaven, and brings this whole dish together. We have served these on many an occasion and they are always hugely popular. What’s not to like?
Aleppo pepper chilli flakes
Aleppo pepper is a highly desirable variety of chilli popular for its warm, rich, fruity flavour and mild chilli bite. It’s a versatile spice and adds dramatic colour, an amazing ‘zing’ and mild smoky heat. It is popular in Turkish and Middle Eastern cooking.
If you can’t get your hands on some Aleppo chilli pepper flakes use dried chilli flakes, but not the 3 teaspoons as used with the Aleppo, we’d suggest starting with 1/2-1 teaspoon depending on your taste.
Try to get even sized potatoes as they will cook at the same time. High starch potatoes that have a light, mealy texture. Once boiled they are ideal for smashing.
If preparing the potatoes ahead of time it’s best to smash them whilst they’re still hot otherwise it’s difficult to smash them once they’re cold.
Suggested potato varieties to use:
- Yukon Gold
- Dutch Creams
- King Edward
- Red Potatoes
Don’t like anchovies
We promise you won’t even know they are in the dressing. The anchovies sort of melt into the oil and leave an amazing umami flavour that you can’t quite put your finger on, but you will definitely know this sauce has great flavour. Please don’t leave them out!
These beauties can be prepped ahead a day or two in advance of baking the potatoes. Simply boil your potatoes, drain them and pop them on the tray you’ll be baking them on. Using a glass squash the potatoes whilst they are still hot, allow to cool then brush with oil top and bottom and season them.
Pop them in the fridge and make your dressing, and on the day pop your potatoes in the oven for 45-50 minutes until golden and crispy, smear a plate with the sour cream and top with the potatoes and dressing. Delicious and too easy!
Watch How To Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Walnut Chilli Dressing
Check out some more winning potato recipes
click on the link…..Potato Galette with Duck Fat and Caraway
click on the link…..Easy Crispy Hasselback Potatoes
click on the link…..Crispy Roast Potatoes
click on the link……Candied Sweet Potatoes
click on the link…..Creamy Muffin Tin Potato Stacks
What’s your go to potato recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these crispy smashed potatoes with walnut chilli dressing.Print
The dressing of walnuts, anchovies, garlic, red pepper flakes and raisins is the ultimate umami bomb, which is then spooned over the crispiest ever smashed potatoes. Oh, and don’t forget the sour cream, which is the perfect marriage for these potatoes.
- 1kg (2lb) new or other small potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- freshly ground black pepper and salt for seasoning
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped – see notes
- 2 oil packed anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 teaspoons Aleppo pepper flakes, or 1/2 – 1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes (depending on your taste)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- fresh parsley and dill for garnish – optional
- lemon wedges for serving
- cover potatoes with cold water in a pot and add the salt
- bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer till potatoes are cooked
- drain and allow potatoes to sit for five minutes
- preheat oven to 220c (430f) on bake, not fan
- place potatoes on baking tray and use the base of a glass or mug to squash the potatoes
- brush with 1/3 cup of the olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper
- bake until golden and crispy – see notes
- add 1/3 cup of olive oil to a small pot and add in walnuts and anchovies
- simmer gently for 5-7 minutes until the walnuts are a toasty colour
- immediately pour oil into a bowl and add the garlic stirrring – garlic will sizzle
- add in the raisins and Aleppo pepper and stir till combined
- smear a plate with the sour cream and place potatoes on top
- spoon dressing over the potatoes
- scatter with fresh herbs and serve with lemon wedges
- baking time for the potatoes depends on their size, our potatoes weighed about 100g (3 1/2 ounces) each and took about 50 minutes
- potatoes can be prepared ahead, squashed and refrigerated till ready to bake
- dressing can be made ahead
- try to make your walnut pieces roughly the same size, otherwise much smaller pieces will burn before the remainder are golden
- sieve your pieces of walnut so there is no ‘walnut dust’, that will burn in the oil
Keywords: crispy smashed potatoes with walnut chilli dressing
Coops is in love with his new toy unicorn. He has carted the unicorn around for the past few days and we think he loves the size, and colours of his new friend.