Crispy smashed potatoes are a perfect way to cook potatoes with an ultra crispy skin, crunchy nooks and crannies and soft buttery potato on the inside. Everyone loves these and they are the first to go at any barbecue we have.
Nooks and crannies
When you squash your potatoes try to create as many rough edges as possible as these are the bits that get tinged with golden crispiness which is exactly what you’re after. The oil and butter seeps into these nooks and crannies and creates the crispiness.
Select potatoes that are roughly the same size, and potatoes that are starchy, such as
- Yukon gold
Crispy smashed potatoes topping suggestions
- sour cream and chives
- melted butter with minced garlic
- grated parmesan
- fried bacon with sour cream and spring onions
Check out some more winning vegetable recipes
What’s your favourite potato recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these golden crispy smashed potatoes.Print
Crispy smashed potatoes isn’t so much a recipe, as a technique. Use as many potatoes as you need, and boil, smash and bake away!
- as many even sized potatoes that you wish
- extra virgin olive oil
- melted butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- boil potatoes till tender
- drain and leave to cool in colander till they are cool enough to handle
- preheat oven to 190 c(375 f)
- line a baking sheet with baking paper
- squash potatoes till you have as many peaks as possible
- drizzle melted butter over each potato
- drizzle olive oil over each potato
- sprinkle with salt and pepper
- bake on middle shelf for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown
- serve and enjoy!
- you can boil the potatoes a day or 2 ahead and leave in the refrigerator before squashing them until you’re ready to bake the potatoes
- Category: vegetables
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Australian
Keywords: crispy smashed potatoes
One of Coopers favourite past times is eating pegs, if one falls on the ground…….. it’s gone