Easy, healthy, grain and seed bread – gf v. Bread is the staff of life and Sarah Britton’s ‘bread that will change your life’ recipe is a winner. It’s superbly healthy and ridiculously easy to prepare.
Studded with sunflower seeds, chia seeds and hazelnuts, it’s high in protein and fibre. It’s gluten free and vegan. And its ingredients get soaked for optimal nutrition and digestion.
We were given this recipe by Amanda, Jen’s daughter in law. She makes this bread regularly doubling the recipe and freezing one loaf for later. Amanda is not so fond of this bread untoasted but says once toasted it is a game changer and delicious. We fully agree, it’s nutty, textural, toasty with a crunch on the outside, but most of all it’s delicious, and extremely good for you.
Some ideas for toasted Easy, Healthy, Grain and Seed Bread
- top with some smashed avocado, tabasco, and red onion
- sauteed mushrooms with garlic and parsley
- poached eggs
- hummus with fresh tomato
- whipped feta with marinated tomatoes and basil pesto
- smashed chickpeas with harissa yogurt
- honey and smashed banana
- smoked salmon and cream cheese with lemon
No need to knead
This bread seriously could not be easier to make. Throw all the dry ingredients together, mix water, with ghee or coconut oil and add in maple or honey. Pour liquids over dry ingredients and mix. Let it sit in the bowl for 2-24 hours then bake.
You remove the bread from the tin after 20 minutes cooking and return bread to oven and bake for a further 30-40 minutes. Tap its bottom, and when you have a hollow sound you’re done. Too easy!
Swap out the ingredients
Don’t have oats, use almond flour (almond meal) or rolled spelt.
No hazelnuts, use almonds or any other nuts.
You prefer honey or stevia rather than maple syrup, go ahead and use it.
Don’t have sunflower seeds, use pepitas.
You get the picture….as long as what you’re swapping out is in the same proportions you’ll be cruising.
Check out some other super easy and healthy recipes
- bread and butter cucumber pickle
- quick tuna and cannellini bean salad
- Mexican Prawn, Mango and Avocado Salad
- easy egg and bacon potato salad
Do you have a healthy bread recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
This easy, healthy seed and grain bread is superbly healthy and good for you. Double the ingredients and freeze a loaf!
- loaf pan – you do not have to grease the pan 8 x 4 inch (20cm x 10cm)
- sunflower seeds 1 cup
- flax seeds 1/2 cup
- hazelnuts or almonds 1/2 cup
- rolled oats 1 1/2 cups
- chia seeds 2 tablespoons
- psyllium seed husks (3 tablespoons if using psyllium husk powder) 4 tablespoons
- salt 1 teaspoon
- honey or maple syrup 1 tablespoon
- ghee, melted or coconut oil 3 tablespoons
- water 1 1/2 cups
- whisk water, ghee or oil and honey or maple syrup together
- add dry ingredients and combine till everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick
- add a teaspoon or 2 of extra water if dough is too thick to stir
- cover bowl and sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours or overnight
- press dough into loaf pan and gently tap on the kitchen bench a few times to settle any air pockets
- when ready to bake heat oven to 350 f (175 c) on bake not fan
- bake on middle shelf for 20 minutes
- remove bread from oven, run a knife around the outside of the bread and remove bread from loaf pan
- place bread on a rack (without the pan) and bake for another 35-40 minutes
- bread is ready when you tap the bottom of the loaf it should sound hollow
- let cool completely before slicing
- serve and enjoy!
psst. it’s better toasted!
- bread keeps well covered in the fridge for a week
- bread freezes well
- Category: baking
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Scandinavian
Keywords: easy healthy grain and seed bread