Lemon curd is a super quick and easy recipe to prepare and it’s delicious!. Butter, sugar, lemon juice, egg yolks, lemon zest, simply mixed and heated ….Voila! Instant sunny happiness.
Dollop on fresh bread, sandwiching cakes, tarts, cupcakes, muffins, crumpets, waffles or cookies. . Try mixing with thick Greek yogurt and serving with thin almond biscuits or crumbled amaretti biscuits for a super quick and delicious dessert.
We love to whip up jars of this sunshine for family and friends as it always brings a look of joy and anticipation for its sweet and tangy flavours, ready to be indulged.
Quick test to see if curd is ready for cooling
Once you have finished whisking the butter into the mixture, dip a spoon into the curd and run your finger through the curd. It should leave a clean line. Curd is then ready to refrigerate and cool down.
scroll down for the easy lemon curd recipe
Watch how to make easy lemon curd
Check out some more winning dessert recipes using lemons
- meringue nests
- Lemon curd sponge roulade
- edna’s lemon curd cake
- italian lemon almond and white chocolate – gluten free
- lemon curd and almond rolled pavlova
Click on the links above for the recipes
Whatever you call it curd, butter or spread, it’s always delicious. What’s your favourite way to enjoy lemon curd?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this lip puckering easy lemon curd.Print
Lemon curd is super quick and easy to prepare. Butter, sugar, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon zest simply mixed and heated….Voila! Instant sunny happiness.
- 125 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 large whole eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 level teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 100 grams (4 ounces) butter, chopped into small cubes
- 200 grams (7.5 ounces) sugar
- Add juice, sugar, eggs and cornstarch (cornflour) to a small heavy based pot
- Whisk over medium heat till sugar dissolves – approx 2-3 minutes
- Whisk until small bubbles appear on surface (do not boil) and immediately remove from heat and whisk in zest and butter till melted
- At this point ( see above photo) with a spoon give the curd a quick stir and then immediately trace a line across the back of the spoon with your finger tip. If the line remains visible the curd is ready, if it doesn’t, continue to stir over low heat for a minute or so longer
- Pour into a bowl, allow to cool then cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until set (approx 4 hours)
- store in the fridge for up to a week
- you can substitute the lemon juice for lime, orange or grapefruit juice
- Category: cakes and desserts, preserves
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: easy lemon curd
Coops exploring the garden by our prolific lemon tree! This tree is magical. It produces lemons absolutely all year round. Sadly we don’t know what variety it is as everyone comments and wants to plant one.