Hearty chicken, vegetable and lentil soup is easily one of our go to comfort foods when the weather cools right down and the fire is blazing.
This recipe is so easy with the main ingredient being time spent to create a golden broth to flavour up all that goodness of chicken, vegetables galore and fibre filled lentils. Simmered gently on the stove filling your home with a promise of a bowl of nourishing goodness coming your way. One pot, one soup!
The vegetables can be adjusted to add more or less of those you like. At times weʼll throw in a can of cannellini beans or chickpeas or any type of canned bean you fancy. Often we change the barley for risoni pasta added at the end of cooking, or golden dried egg noodles for a really filling soup.
We always make a huge pot with enough to freeze for an easy, relaxing day. Simply remove from freezer, thaw, heat and enjoy a bowl of goodness. Nourishing, warming, and so good for you, we bet youʼll love this soup and reach for a container from your freezer for those days that you just want to be fed and comforted with barely any effort.
check out some more winning soup recipes
- chicken and sweet corn soup
- minestrone with ham and pesto
- roasted tomato and garlic soup
- cauliflower soup with burnt butter – gluten free
- smoked cod chowder – gluten free
What’s your go to chicken soup recipe? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
This super healthy homemade chicken, vegetable and lentil soup will warm you up in no time and satisfy your inner wellness with protein and fibre.
3 large chicken maryland skin on ( 2 pounds / 900 grams)
1/2 large yellow (brown) onion with skin on
1 medium carrot chopped into chunks
4–5 stems flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
top of 1 leek – use dark green leaves well rinsed
1 stick celery chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 leek sliced and rinsed – white part
2 sticks celery chopped
1 large yellow (brown) onion
1 large parsnip peeled and chopped
1/2 cup dried barley
2 cups dried green lentils
1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons worstershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1 teaspoon fine white pepper
I tin supersweet corn kernels and liquid (15 ounce / 425g)
1 tin creamed corn (15 ounce / 425g)
1 cup frozen peas
- Place chicken maryland, onion, leek, carrot, parsley and peppercorns in a large heavy based pot and cover with cold water (about 5 pints / 2.5 litres)
- Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes (or until chicken is cooked), skimming a few times to remove scum
- Remove chicken pieces and strain vegetables from stock – discard vegetables and peppercorns
- PREPARE SOUP
- Add chopped onion, carrot, celery, parsnip, leek, barley and lentils to strained stock
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45-50 minutes – skimming occasionally
- Meanwhile shred chicken using two forks, discarding skin and bones
- Add chicken, corn kernels, creamed corn, peas, parsley, worstershire sauce, salt and pepper and simmer for a further 15 mins
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
- Soup can be frozen once cooled in the refrigerator
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Popular