Homemade merguez sausages are full of attitude thanks to the harissa, paprika, garlic and other spices with which theyʼre made. Merguez are a powerhouse of spicy lamb making them one of the tastiest sausages around.
Merguez are found all over North Africa and are hugely popular in France. Itʼs really easy to make up the mixture and serve them with our mint and lemon yogurt. Yum!
We love to make this using lamb mince (ground) and we will often make up a mix for barbequing. Grab a heap of friends and flatbreads, some red onion, mint, olives, tomato,……and let everyone help themselves. Too easy!
Today we have rolled these and let them hang out in the fridge overnight (optional) to let the flavour develop further, a quick panfry, then oven baked.
Check out some more winning mince (ground meat) recipes
- stir fried pork and sesame noodles
- thai chicken larb salad
- bolognese sauce
- smoky chilli con carne – gluten free
- shepherds pie
What’s your favourite mince (ground meat) recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Homemade merguez sausages are full of flavour thanks to the harissa, garlic and loads of spices.
- 500 g (1 pound) lamb mince (ground) 20% fat
- 2 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 80 g (2 1/2 ounces) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- put all ingredients into a large bowl
- using your hands mix until combined
- shape sausages into eight 10 cm ( 4 inch) pieces
- refrigerate the mixture for half an hour or overnight for the flavours to marry
- preheat oven to 200 c (390 f)
- heat a frypan on medium-high heat and fry sausages for 2-3 minutes until brown all over
- transfer sausages to a small tray and bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through
- serve and enjoy!
- Category: meat and chicken
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: North African
Keywords: homemade merguez sausages