Homemade ranch dressing addicts are alive and dipping. It is the most popular dressing in the USA, as we discovered on holidays. It’s loved on wings, on salads, as a dip or even drizzled on pizza! Some we encountered even suggested that just about everything tastes better with a little ranch. Mmmm, not sure about that one, but… It’s creamy, without being stodgy, tangy, with a good kick of fresh herbs and a little garlic and lemon juice in the background.
We holidayed with family in Milwaukee, and had heard there were some exceptional wing joints that we simply had to try. We were not disappointed. The flavour of the wings was excellent, but it was the ranch dressing that put them over the top.
Fresh dill , parsley and chives, creamy with sour cream and mayonnaise along with buttermilk and balanced with fresh lemon juice. With a little nod to garlic and onion powder OMG! We knew we had to make this new discovery to us when we got home. Australians are not so much into ranch dressing as Americans are, so it had escaped our radar. But we’re glad we discovered it. Bloody Mary, fried chicken and ranch coming up!
This dressing now has a permanent home in our refrigerators. It is super quick and easy to make and keeps well for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Quick and easy to make
Homemade Ranch dressing is a one bowl affair, simply mix it all together. Job done! The flavour of the dressing develops more after a few hours and even more so the following day. The dressing will thicken up so, the tip is to make it the day before you need it. Too easy!
Make your own buttermilk
No buttermilk, no problem. Simply add 1/2 a cup of fresh milk to 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar and stir. Let it stand on the bench for 10 minutes. You will see small curdled ‘bits’ in the milk and you’re good to go.
Check out some winning dressing recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..condensed milk mayonnaise
click on the link for the recipe…..roasted garlic anchovy and caper dressing
Whats your favourite homemade ranch dressing recipe?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this homemade ranch dressing.Print
Homemade ranch dressing is creamy, without being stodgy, tangy, with a good kick of fresh herbs and a little garlic and lemon in the background. It keeps for 3-4 days refrigerated and the flavours intensify the longer it’s refrigerated.
It really has to beat any store bought for flavour and freshness.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk – see notes
- 1/4 cup hole egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes (less if using fine salt)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- few dashes of tabasco sauce (to your taste)
- mix buttermilk, sour cream and mayonnaise till smooth
- add all other ingredients and mix to combine
- cover and refrigerate
- mixture will thicken as it chills
- serve and enjoy!
- we made our own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice to 1/2 cup full cream milk and let it sit on the bench for 10 minutes
- buttermilk will curdle and that’s when it’s ready to use
- Category: salads and salad dressings
- Method: bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ranch dressing
This is becoming a regular occurrence!
Coo Coo is six months old now, and the garden is slowly being demolished. Nobody mentioned Golden Retrievers are serial diggers, until after we got our fur baby.
Hoping he grows out of this fun stage quickly. 🙂