Italian lemon cake is so moist, lemony with white chocolate as a secret ingredient that adds a luxury smoothness to the dense crumb. This Italian lemon cake is a complete winner! Delicious, moist and utterly fantastic as an easy to make cake that completely delivers.
We made this cake for a simple and delicious summer luncheon with friends, serving our quick tuna and cannellini bean salad followed by Italian lemon cake with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Everyone bar none asked for the recipe. With 12 guests, that was quite a compliment!
This cake is happy to be served with a coffee, packed for a picnic or served as an elegant finish to an Italian feast, perhaps with a little shot of limoncello liqueur on the side.
Italian lemon cake is gluten free as it is made with almond flour (almond meal).
We have adapted this Italian lemon cake to add a crunchy, thin almond toffee topping that adds a light crunch along with the moist cake. You can absolutely leave the almond topping from the recipe and still have a delicious dessert.
Italian lemon cake will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days after baking. Italian lemon cake freezes very well. Simply wrap in cling film, freeze and remove from freezer, allow to thaw and it’s ready to serve.
What’s your favourite lemon cake recipe?
Leave a comment below and let us know!Print
This moist, lemony Italian lemon cake has the option of having a toffee almond topping. Delicious with or without the topping.
- 12 ounces (350 g) almond flour (almond meal)
- 7 ounces (200 g) white chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons full cream milk or cream
- 6 ounces (180 g) butter softened
- 4 1/2 ounces (130 g) castor sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract – optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 – 4 ounces (100g) slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 ounces (60 g) butter
- 5 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose (plain flour) or gluten free plain flour
- preheat oven to 350 f (175c)
- grease and line base 10 1/2 inch or 27cm of springform pan with baking paper
- combine chocolate and milk and gently melt over double boiler or microwave till melted
- set chocolate aside to cool
- beat butter with sugar till light, white and fluffy (around 3 minutes)
- add lemon zest, egg yolks, and extract if using till well combined
- now add almond flour (almond meal), melted chocolate and lemon juice
- beat until combined
- add slivered almonds
- in a separate bowl beat egg whites till soft peak
- fold egg whites through mixture gently till combined
- spoon batter into cake tin and smooth top
- bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and skewer comes out clean
- remove cake from oven
- turn oven up to 400 f (200 c)
- spread almond topping evenly over cake
- return cake to oven for 5 minutes
- keep an eye on the almonds as you only want them to go golden ( 4-5 minutes)
- remove cake from oven
- run a knife around sides of cake tin
- allow to cool completely in the tin
- release sides of tin
- slide cake onto a serving plate
- serve and enjoy!
- mix all topping ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat
- mixture will boil and bubble
- remove from heat
- spread over top of cooked cake
- cake freezes well
- almond topping is optional
- Category: cakes and desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian lemon cake