Lemon curd and almond butter cake is a rustic cake with highs and lows formed by the deep pools of delicious golden curd and the soft buttery almond crumb of the butter cake batter then topped off with golden toasted almonds. What’s not to like!
This little cake is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party with just a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
Homemade lemon curd is really easy to make. The curd is quite fluid when cooked but thickens as it chills. Test for readiness with a spoon by dipping into curd, and run your finger through the curd. If the line remains the curd is ready, if not simply continue cooking for another minute or so.
Easy to put together
It is very quick to put together and even quicker if you have some lemon curd on hand. If you have a brand of lemon curd that you like to buy then go ahead and use that to save time. The batter is quite thick so you will need to smooth the top of the batter before dolloping on the lemon curd.
Adding lemon curd and almonds
The batter is quite thick so you need to spread it into the tin leaving the top smooth. Dollop the curd around leaving a border, sprinkle on lightly toasted almonds and sugar.
Lightly toasted flaked almonds
Lightly toast the almonds till they just start to get a little colour, they will go more golden when the cake is baking. Spread almonds evenly onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven till they just start to change colour (6-7 minutes).
scroll down for the lemon curd and almond butter cake recipe
Watch how to make lemon curd and almond butter cake
Check out some more winning recipes using lemons
click on the link for the recipe…..edna’s lemon curd cake
click on the link for the recipe…..italian lemon almond and white chocolate cake
click on the link for the recipe…..lemon curd and almond rolled pavlova
click on the link for the recipe…..easy lemon curd
click on the link for the recipe….lemon curd sponge roulade
What’s your favourite lemon cake recipe?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious lemon curd and almond butter cake.Print
Lemon curd and almond butter cake is a winner. Moist, buttery almond cake filled with lemon curd and topped off with golden toasted almonds. What’s not to like?
easy lemon curd
- 125 ml (4 fl ounces) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large whole eggs, lightly whisked
- 200 g (7 ounces) caster sugar
- 2 level teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 100 grams (4 ounces) butter
- 130 g (4 1/2 ounces) butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 extra tablespoons caster or demerera sugar (for the topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (almond flour)
- 6 tablespoons lightly toasted flaked (sliced) almonds
- icing sugar to dust – optional
easy lemon curd
- add juice, sugar, eggs and cornflour (cornstarch) to a small heavy based saucepan
- whisk over medium heat till sugar dissolves – approx 2-3 minutes
- whisk until small bubbles appear on the surface (do not boil) and immediately remove pan from heat and whisk in zest and butter till melted
- at this point (see above photo) with a spoon give the curd a quick stir and then immediately trace a line across the back of the spoon with your finger tip. If the line remains visible the curd is ready, if it doesn’t continue to stir over low heat for a minute or so longer and redo the spoon test
- pour into a bowl, allow to cool then cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until it thickens (approx 4 hours)
- butter and flour a 22 cm (9 inch) springform pan and tap the pan lightly to remove any excess flour
- preheat oven to 175 c (345 f) and set shelf to middle rack
- with an electric mixmaster or hand mixer cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy
- add the flour, baking powder and salt and add to creamed butter and sugar, stirring till combined
- in a seperate bowl whisk eggs until they are foamy (do not over beat)
- add eggs and almond meal (almond flour) and mix well
- using a spatula spoon batter into springform pan and smooth batter
- spoon dollops of lemon curd around the perimeter of the batter (leaving a 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) border – it uses about 1 1/2 cups of curd
- dollop 3-4 tablespoons of curd into the centre of the batter
- sprinkle almonds evenly over the curd
- sprinkle extra 2 tablespoons sugar over the almonds
- place on centre shelf of oven for 35 – 40 minutes till almonds are golden brown
- test with a skewer inserted into the cake part (not the lemon curd) till it comes out clean
- remove cake from oven and allow to cool on a cake rack for 10 minutes
- run a knife around the inside of the springform pan
- release sides of springform pan and cool completely
- serve with a generous spoon of softly whipped cream
- curd recipe makes more than you will need for the cake but there is nothing wrong with having a little leftover for a treat later
- leftover curd freezes well
- prep time does not include lemon curd refrigeration time
- Category: cakes and desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon curd and almond butter cake, lemon curd cake, lemon curd desserts, cake
Some days I can’t quite decide if I like the comfort of being inside, or the deck. Best to hedge my bets, I guess!