We just love desserts made using lemons and this Lemon Delicious Pudding is a winner. It is quick to prepare and tastes fabulous eaten hot, or cold.
Growing up, Mum’s pantry always had packets of lemon delicious, chocolate, or butterscotch self saucing puddings that we as kids would just whip one or the other up for a quick dessert. We remember mixing up the packet mix, then sprinkling the powder over the batter, and then pouring boiling water over the batter then baking till golden. A big scoop of vanilla ice cream was necessary to serve with it, as the hot pudding met the cold ice cream and created a creamy sauce as it melted. Still nice we’re sure, but this recipe puts that memory right back in the past, before our palates became a little more discerning. Thank goodness!
Well, we’ve come a long way since, and discovered this amazing lemon delicious recipe that has the best light and airy sponge and a stunning lemon sauce, that makes the perfect pudding in our opinion.
What we really love about this sponge, is that it remains beautifully soft with that fresh baked mouth feel even after refrigerating. Whipping the egg whites and gently folding through the batter is the key to creating this super light and airy sponge.
Watch How To Make It
Check out some more winning lemon desserts
click on the link…..Edna’s Lemon Curd Cake
click on the link…..Easy Crustless Lemon Tart
click on the link…..Italian Lemon Mascarpone Tart
click on the link……Lemon Curd Sponge Roulade
click on the link…..Italian Lemon, Almond and White Chocolate Cake – Gluten Free
What’s your favourite lemon dessert? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.
Lemon delicious pudding is a light as a feather and airy sponge, cooked above a creamy puddle of delicious lemon curd sauce. Winner, winner!
- 50 g ( 1 3/4 ounces) softened butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 200 g (7 ounces) caster sugar
- zest of two medium lemons, finely grated
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl ounces) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 50 g (1 3/4 ounces) plain (all purpose) flour
- 250 ml (8 1/2 fl ounces) full cream milk
- icing sugar for dusting – optional
- heat oven to 180c (355f) on bake, not fan
- lightly butter a 22cm (8 1/2 inch) square baking dish
- combine the butter, sugar and zest in a bowl and beat till well mixed (2-3 minutes)
- add the lemon juice, egg yolks, flour and milk and beat until well mixed (it may look a little curdled, but that’s ok)
- in a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until firm, but not stiff and glossy
- gently fold the egg whites through the batter taking care not to beat it – see notes
- pour mixture into your baking dish
- place dish in a pan and pour boiling water until water is half way up the sides of the dish
- cook on middle shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is lightly browned and there is a gooey lemon curd below
- remove from oven and lightly dust with icing sugar
- serve hot or cold with cream or ice cream
- take care not to beat the batter with the egg whites as it will destroy the air bubbles that make the sponge light and airy
- Category: cakes and desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: lemon delicious pudding
Cooper now has a new burial ground for his bones. What was once a flourishing garden bed is now completely dead due to the drought here in Australia. What is it with dogs that you give them a nice juicy bone and they go and bury it, only to dig it up at a later date?