Lentil, chorizo and vegetable soup is the essence of Spanish food. The chorizo is used almost like a bouquet garni to infuse the soup with delicious flavour.
Spicy chorizo sausages join forces with lentils, pumpkin, carrot, onion, capsicum (bell pepper), zucchini, tomatoes and garlic, backed up with the smokiness of sweet smoked paprika.
This is exactly the sort of soupy stew that we crave when the weather is cold. To say that we love a great soup is a bit of an understatement. We absolutely adore it, and could easily eat it almost everyday during the colder weather. Add some hot crusty bread rolls and tuck into a great nourishing meal.
The soup gloriously tastes better after a day or two in the fridge because the ingredients have time to mingle and marry.
What is it? It’s sausage! Chorizo originated in Spain, and has a bright reddish hue and a fragrant, spicy aroma that comes from Spanish paprika. It’s made from pork that is seasoned with garlic, salt and paprika and comes either mild, or hot in flavour.
Infusing the chorizo whole into the simmering of the soup releases a delicious porky, paprika and garlic backdrop for the soup.
Pureeing the tomato, onion, capsicum and garlic
Allowing the tomato, capsicum, garlic and onion to infuse into the soup, then pureeing them makes the flavours of the sweet onion and garlic lift the whole soup.
It’s no surprise that every spoonful delivers a different combination of delicious ingredients.
We have used whole green lentils which, like brown lentils hold their shape when cooked. You can really use any type you have on hand.
Lentils are naturally gluten free, high in protein and have excellent fibre benefits.
Watch How To Make It
Check out some more winning soup recipes
click on the link…..Cauliflower Soup with Burnt Butter – Gluten Free
click on the link…..Hearty Chicken, Vegetable and Lentil Soup
click on the link…..Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
click on the link…..Pea and Ham Hock Soup – Gluten Free
click on the link…..Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
What’s your favourite go to soup when the weather turns chilly? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.
- 500g (1 pound) whole green lentils
- 500g ( 1 pound) jap pumpkin, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into small chunks
- 1 large zucchini, cut into small chunks
- 3 1/2 litres (7 1/2 pints) cold water
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and left whole
- 1 bulb of garlic, whole
- 4 medium tomatoes, whole
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced in half and seeds remove
- 3 chorizo sausages (450g / 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- you will need a very large pot for this soup (5 1/2L / 11 1/2 pints)
- place lentils in a large pot and add 3 1/2 litres (7 1/2 pints) of cold water
- add all ingredients apart from the salt and zucchini to the pot
- bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes
- skim any impurities once or twice during the simmer
- remove tomatoes, onion and capsicum (bell pepper) and place them in a bowl
- remove bulb of garlic and squeeze out the cloves over the vegetables
- puree tomato mix with a stick blender
- add the puree back to the soup
- remove chorizo and slice into pieces, then pop the pieces back into the soup
- add the zucchini and salt and simmer for a further 6-8 minutes
- serve with hot crusty bread
- this makes a lot of soup
- soup freezes well
- Category: soups
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: lentil and chorizo vegetable soup
Cooper just loves to lie beside the fire when it’s cold and wet outside.. You’d think he would start to roast with the amount of time he spends there, but nope he just lays there for hours.