Summer is the perfect season for this absolutely delicious prawn, mango and avocado salad. Lime juice, coriander and chilli bring it all together. We just love this salad served as an impressive stack or simply mixed and popped onto crisp little lettuce leaves. Pile a platter with mini little gem lettuce leaves and serve a huge bowl of the prawns, mango and avocado. Guests help themselves. Too easy!
This delicious salad is fabulous for the festive season. It makes for an impressive starter that really is too easy to prepare. Don’t worry if you don’t have any fancy rings just slice through a plastic bottle or remove the base from an opened tin for your mould.
Summer and Mangoes
Summer and mangoes go hand in hand. We love our mangoes and can’t wait to tuck into them. During our childhood our parents would drive by vans on the side of the road selling trays of mangoes and mum and dad would pull in to buy a tray of golden mangoes for us to devour. In our younger days we would actually sit in the bath without our tops on to eat the mangoes. Mum was obviously onto the juicy mango juice dripping down on to our tops and creating a stain problem with the laundry! Parental forward thinking. LOL, but clever!
Fresh or Frozen Mango? – Both Work
We have to say that we have made this salad with both fresh and frozen mango. We were very impressed with the frozen mango. Bought at the supermarket and already cubed. It thaws beautifully and stays nice and firm once thawed. The brand we bought came from Peru and we can thoroughly recommend it for both flavour and colour. Not to mention extremely economical and a brilliant time saver in making this delicious salad!
Mangoes grow just north of us and their arrival at the markets truly heralds summer.
Putting the Stack Together
This salad is simple and really only takes minutes. If making the day before, prepare the prawns and mango but leave adding the avocado till a while before serving, otherwise your avocado may go brown.
check out some more winning salad recipes
- tomato burrata basil and prosciutto salad
- easy egg and bacon potato salad
- thai smoked chicken and papaya salad
- chilli caramel salmon salad
- quick tuna and cannellini bean salad
Have you ever paired prawns with mango and avocado? Please leave us a comment below as we would love to hear from you.Print
The combination of prawns, mango and avocado teamed simply with chilli, fresh lime juice and coriander is sensational. Summer in all its glory!
- 1 pound (500 g) fresh prawns peeled and deveined
- 2 ripe avocados peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 ripe mangoes peeled and cut into cubes ( or frozen mango cubes)
- juice of 1 fresh lime – about 2 tablespoons
- 1 long red chilli deseeded and cut into small dice
- 1/2 a small red onion finely diced
- handful of coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt and fine white pepper
- you will need a opened ended plating ring – see notes
- toss cubes of avocado with a tablespoon of lime juice
- season lightly with salt and pepper
- toss cubed mango with coriander, chilli, onion and lime juice
- cut prawns into small pieces
- place ring in centre of plate for serving
- spoon avocado into ring and spread evenly
- add prawns and gently press into avocado
- layer mango on top and gently press
- gently remove ring
- serve and enjoy!
- you need a plating stack ring to layer this salad
- improvise by using a soft drink bottle cut with a knife to around 3 inches high (8 cm) or a small tin that you have cut the end out of
- Category: salads and salad dressing
- Method: bench top
- Cuisine: Australian
Keywords: prawn cocktail with mango and avocado