Potato galette with duck fat and caraway is a rustic potato side dish that is rich, buttery, crispy on top and meltingly tender inside. Thin slices of potato and sweet eschallots swathed in duck fat and butter, and seasoned with caraway. Big Fat Yum!
We love to serve this easily made potato dish in summer or winter. It goes beautifully with barbecued fish or beef steak, and is perfect served with roast beef or chicken.
Galette, which simply means flat cake, is a term used in French cuisine.
We used red Pontiac potatoes, but you could use Desiree or Yukon gold. Slicing the potatoes so they are very thin is easily done with a mandolin. If you don’t own one just use a sharp knife and slice as thin as possible.
Duck fat is now widely available in supermarkets, where as some years ago it was only to be found in upmarket delis. It has a high smoke point, which is perfect for cooking the galette at a very high temperature. It has a wonderful silky mouthful and a subtle flavour. Duck fat just makes everything taste better, especially potatoes!
Check out some more winning potato recipes
click on the link…..Crispy Potato Cake
click on the link…..Easy Crispy Hasselback Potatoes
click on the link…..Crispy Smashed Potatoes
click on the link….Creamy Muffin Tin Potato Stacks
click on the link…..Candied Sweet Potatoes
What’s your favourite potato recipe?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this indulgent potato galette with duck fat and caraway.Print
Potato galette with duck fat and caraway is a rustic potato side dish that is rich, buttery, crispy on top and meltingly tender inside. Thin slices of potato and sweet eschallots swathed in duck fat and butter and seasoned with caraway. Big Fat Yum!
- 55 g (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons rendered duck fat, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 kg (2 pounds) Red Pontiac, Desiree or Yukon gold potatoes peeled and sliced very thinly
- 2 small eschallots (shallots) peeled and thinly sliced – see notes
- preheat oven to 220c (425f) on bake, not fan
- line a baking sheet with baking paper
- place a springform tin (without base) onto baking paper
- lightly brush the baking paper inside the tin (using some of the melted butter)
- slice potatoes thinly
- place duck fat, 3/4 of the butter, salt, pepper, caraway and garlic into a large bowl
- mix potato slices until slices are well covered
- take a 1/4 of the potatoes and spread in base of springform
- add remaining 1/4 of melted butter to sliced eschallots and mix
- sprinkle a quarter of the eschallots over the potatoes
- repeat 3 more times
- place on middle shelf in oven
- bake for 45-50 minutes till golden and potatoes are tender
- run a knife around the inside of the springform tin
- lift paper with springform tin gently onto your serving plate
- slide paper out – you will need to wipe excess fat and butter from around the edge of your plate
- release springform tin sides and remove from potatoes
- serve and enjoy!
- you can use any onion you like
- the galette will ooze some of the fat and butter onto the baking paper
- Category: vegetables
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: potato galette with duck fat and caraway
After receiving much needed rain our grass is back to green, rather than ‘crunchy’ underfoot. Rolling on the soft, green grass is one of Coopers favourite things to do.