Weʼre having friends over to watch the Rugby grandfinal and this roasted tomato salsa goes over a treat. Itʼs made in 30 minutes and most of that time is spent grilling the tomatoes, onion and garlic till their blistering with tinges of black. You want the black! The blackened bits add flavour to this roasted tomato and chipotle dip.
Getting friends together to watch major sporting events is great fun. Even better though is the food. What you serve is every bit as important as the sporting event. This roast tomato and chipotle dip is often our most requested dip for a bring along potluck gathering. Even if your side goes down, the food is always a major part of the game plan. At least the food and drinks are fantastic, even if your team is not.
Making this roasted tomato and chipotle salsa needs to have really ripe tomatoes for the best flavour. You canʼt make it with underripe, hard as rock tomatoes.
Roasted tomato and chipotle salsa is great used on tacos, nachos, stirred through scrambled eggs or popping on a grilled cheese sandwich. Weʼve also used this salsa with haloumi fries
How do you like to use your salsa?Print
Roasted tomato and chipotle salsa is quick to prepare. It’s versatile too as it can be added to tacos, nachos, sandwiches or just dipping your corn chips into.
- 4 medium sized ripe tomatoes quartered
- 1 medium red onion peeled and quartered
- 6 fat cloves of garlic skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- extra clove garlic peeled and minced
- 3–4 piquillo peppers or 1/2 a roasted red bell pepper
- 1 level tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- grind or two of black pepper
- 7 ounces (200g) black beans canned
- preheat oven to 350 f (180 c)
- toss tomato, garlic in skin and onion in olive oil
- place on parchment lined baking tray and bake till skins have blistered
- remove from tray and place in blender or food processor
- add piquillo peppers, raw minced garlic, cumin, salt and coriander
- blend to your preferred consistency
- stir through black beans and lime juice
- serve with corn chips
- salsa can be made without the black beans
- Category: dips
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: roasted tomato and chipotle salsa