Spicy red lentils with capers and currants is one of those salads that is so good, in so many ways. Let’s talk about flavour. It is mildly spicy, with a clean fresh taste thanks to the currants and capers. It is extremely portable which makes it great picnic fare. The salad holds in the fridge for a good week which makes it perfect for lunchboxes or snack time. Not to mention it is extremely economical and super quick to put together. What’s not to like?
We recently took a double quantity of this salad to a picnic race day with a group of friends. Everyone brings a plate which makes entertaining super easy. As the salad is already dressed it makes for a no fuss effort.
Red split lentils cook quickly. Watch them like a hawk, as they can go from cooked to mush in 30 seconds as Belinda, whose recipe it came from says. We like the lentils to almost be ‘al dente’, so we cook them so they still have a slight bite factor.
We used a mild curry powder for the salad. The ‘Clive of India’ powder has nine different spices, and is a good all-round curry powder. Check the use-by dates on your curry powder container as the flavours can become ‘flat’ and lose its flavour the older the powder is.
Check out some more winning salad recipes
- thai mango and lobster salad
- mexican prawn mango and avocado salad
- tomato burrata basil and prosciutto salad
- easy egg and bacon potato salad
- quick tuna and cannellini bean salad
What’s your favourite lentil recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Spicy red lentils with capers and currants is a great little recipe. Quick to bring together, economical, everyone loves it, great for lunch boxes and keeps well in the fridge. What’s not to like?
- 600g (1 1/4 pounds) dried red lentils
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup baby capers
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- mustard powder 1 teaspoon
- 11/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 large red onion cut into thin slivers
- chopped parsley
- cook lentils in a large pot of boiling water per packet instructions
- whisk all of the dressing ingredients until well combined
- drain hot lentils and add to dressing and toss to combine
- leave aside to cool
- add onions and parsley when lentils are cool
- mix to combine
- serve and enjoy!
- salad keeps for a week in the fridge
- Category: salads and salad dressings
- Method: boil
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: spicy red lentils with capers and currants