Sweet corn fritters are pretty much a cafe breakfast staple here in Australia as they pair so well with eggs, bacon, smoked salmon, sausages, guacamole, sour cream, yogurt…..well, loads of breakfast ingredients. Made popular by Bill Granger, originally a Sydney based cafe owner of Billʼs, some 25 years. The recipe is all over the internet but we canʼt resist adding sweet corn fritters here as everyone should know about them.
Growing up we had neighbours that grew corn. Sunday night dinner in corn season was a huge boiler filled with freshly shucked corn from Mrs Nash, our neighbour. We would cut through the fence into her paddock and knock on her door. Out sheʼd come armed with a large knife and trot us down the paddock to lop the ears for as many as mum had requested.
Back home to Mum and shucking the corn ready to pop into the boiler for minutes, then slathered in butter, salt and pepper. I remember thinking of an old fashioned type writer as I ate……starting at one end to the other then ding starting another row. Butter dripping all over your hands until someone invented those little forks that you stab in each end of the cob and eat corn without getting messy ! Corn on the cob was generally followed by stacks of homemade lemon and sugar crepes…..ah memories!
Quick to make
Fresh sweet corn in season is fabulous but a pantry staple of tinned super sweet corn or frozen is a fantastic standby for making these super sweet corn fritters super quick to deliver. Check out our chicken and sweet corn soup for another great recipe using tinned corn.
Cooking super sweet fritters
Fry gently with a little oil on medium heat. When the batter turns opaque they are ready to turn.
Great hot or cold
There is nothing wrong with having a stack of the sweet corn fritters for leftovers. Perfect for the lunch box or as a quick snack for lunch. Sweet corn fritters are also great for entertaining, simply top with a dollop of sour cream and a mere trickle of sweet chilli sauce, or better still a platter with a stack of sweet corn fritters and bowls of help yourself sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. A winner!
CHECK OUT ANOTHER GREAT BREAKFAST OR BRUNCH RECIPE
What’s your favourite corn fritter recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know!
- 5 ounces (150 g) all purpose (plain) flour
- 1/ 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups sweet corn niblets
- 4 spring onions (shallots) thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander
- vegetable oil for frying
- sour cream and sweet chilli sauce for serving – optional
- place flour, baking powder, salt ground coriander, cumin and paprika in a bowl
- add egg, lemon juice and 1/2 cup of water
- beat to a smooth batter
- add corn, spring onion (shallots) and coriander
- mix through to combine
- heat a large frying pan over medium heat
- add oil to pan and heat
- spoon fritter mixture into pan
- fry gently for around 5 minutes
- turn fritters over and fry the other side
- serve with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce – optional
- serve and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet corn fritters