Traybake pork chops with potatoes is simple and quick to prepare with a delicious orange marmalade marinade, that bakes to a flavoursome sticky sauce. The ingredients are all pantry staples that you’re bound to have on hand.
so easy to get dinner on the table
We all have days that we just want to get dinner on the table in super quick time and don’t really want to think about spending time in the kitchen, but definitely want to eat something tasty.
Tray baking vegetables and a protein is a great way to put a meal together quickly with the oven doing all of the work.
Turn your oven on, heat some oil in a baking dish, quarter your potatoes and onion and throw them into the hot oil. Mix up the marinade and paint it onto the pork chops, add them to the potatoes and bake away. Too easy!
traybake pork chops with potatoes ingredients
love thy butcher, and how to select pork chops
Pork chops aren’t just pork chops. They are all cut from the loin which runs along the back of the pig from hip to shoulder but depending on where the meat is cut from affects the flavour, and tenderness of the pork chop.
- pork loin porterhouse – is a fresh pink colour, and is the ‘Rolls Royce’ of pork chops. It looks the same as a beef T-bone steak.
- pork rib chop- is cut from the centre of the pork loin and when cooked is incredibly tender and lean, and has a mild pork flavour.
- pork shoulder chop – as the name suggests is cut from the upper part of the loin and is mouth watering tender when braised – think slow pulled pork. It’s loaded with flavour but needs slow braising to tenderise the meat.
So get to know your butcher and ask for specific cuts, as supermarket pork is generally just labelled ‘pork loin chops’, without specifying which part of the loin the cut is from.
This explains why sometimes your chops can taste very ‘porky’ and not be so tender, as opposed to a tender, not ‘too porky’ pork chop.
Orange marmalade mixed with soy sauce, powdered ginger and garlic lends itself to a Chinese style marinade that glazes the pork and makes it turn all golden brown and sticky.
It also makes a great glaze for baked ham. Remove the skin off your ham and score the fat. Wrap the top of the ham in some foil and pop it in a baking dish along with a couple of cups of water. Warm your ham (depending on the size) till the meat is warm, remove the foil and baste the fat with the marinade. Turn the griller (broiler) on and let the fat blister and the marinade bubble and glisten.
cooking meat on the bone
“The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat”. Well that seems to be a very popular belief, but it also seems to be debunked in many an article on the internet. It seems that pork chops bone in will yield slightly more tender, undercooked meat close to the bone.
Another bonus cooking pork chops on the bone is you get to bring out your inner ‘wild side’ and get to gnaw on the bone. What’s not to like?
Watch How To Make
scroll down for traybake pork chops with potatoes recipe
check out some more winning traybake recipes
What’s your favourite traybake recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this traybake pork chops with potatoes recipe.
Pork chops traybake is a super easy, delicious and relatively hands free way of making dinner.
- 4 pork loin chops on the bone
- 4 large red potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into quarters (leave the root end intact to stop the onion falling apart)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- preheat oven to 180c (355f)
- mix all marinade ingredients together in a small bowl
- pour oil into a large baking dish and place on middle shelf in the oven for 5 minutes
- remove baking dish and add in potato and onion quarters and thyme and give them all a good toss (turn potatoes upright)
- season with salt and bake on middle shelf for twenty minutes
- brush one side of the pork chops with the marinade
- remove potatoes from oven and add pork chops, marinade side down into the pan
- brush the top side of chops with marinade
- return dish to oven and cook for 8-9 minutes
- remove dish and turn chops over, brushing the top side again with the marinade
- return to oven for 5 minutes
- turn oven off and grill onto high
- grill till potatoes are golden (about 3-4 minutes)
- Category: meat and chicken
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Australian
Keywords: traybake pork chops with potatoes, traybake pork chops, traybake recipes, pork chop recipes