Zucchini and pesto soup has a luscious, silky quality that has a really pleasant mouthfeel. Easy to make, delicious and creamy, without any cream. What’s not to like.
so many zucchini
There are times when you can have too many zucchini and the reason we made this zucchini and pesto soup today is because of Jen’s partner Steve, doing a man shop. She had asked him to pick up a couple of extra zucchini for a meal she was preparing.
Mr male shopper comes back with a tonne of zucchini, I mean she cooked the meal, made zucchini chips swathed in butter, garlic and dusted with parmesan the following night, and yet still had enough zucchini left over to make soup enough for 8 serves! Anyone else had a similar man shop situation happen to them?
Hot crusty bread is always delicious served with Zucchini and pest soup. This quick, no knead bread we hope will thrill you with the result. It couldn’t be easier to make. You simply add flour, salt, yeast and water in a bowl, and stir with a spoon. Allow it to sit, shape and bake. That’s it!
Check it out….. Quick No Knead Bread
Basil grows so well in summer that we always make up loads of pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays for the winter months. Generally we use whatever nuts are to hand such as cashews, pine nuts or almonds. It’s a wonderful standby to quickly jazz up a pasta dish, toss with steamed veggies, or dollop into a minestrone.
check it out…..Basil and Cashew Pesto
Watch How To Make Zucchini and Pesto Soup
Please scroll to the bottom for theZucchini and Pesto Soup recipe
check out some more winning soup recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Curried Lentil, Tomato and Coconut Soup
click on the link for the recipe…..Cauliflower Soup with Burnt Butter – Gluten Free
click on the link for the recipe…..Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
click on the link for the recipe…..Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
click on the link for the recipe…..Pea and Ham Hock Soup – Gluten Free
click on the link for the recipe…..Thai Salmon and Coconut Noodle Soup
What’s your go-to recipe for zucchini? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.Print
Very easy to make this delicious soup is as fabulous served chilled in warmer weather, or piping hot on a cold night.
- 1 1/2 kg (3 pounds) zucchini, washed and chopped into small dice
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 ribs of celery, roughly chopped
- 500g (1 pound) potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 8 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) butter
- 7 cups chicken stock – we used 2 heaped teaspoons Massel chicken stock powder to make the stock
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons supermarket parmesan – see notes
- 3 tablespoons home made, or store bought basil pesto
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- sour cream and freshly ground black pepper to serve
- melt butter in a large heavy based pot over medium to high heat
- add onions, celery and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes – you just want to soften the veg, not brown them
- add potatoes salt, pepper and stock and bring to a boil
- reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes till soft
- add zucchini and cook till tender
- use a stick blender to puree the soup until smooth
- add cheeses and pesto, stirring till cheese has melted
- serve with a swirl of sour cream, fresh ground black pepper and crusty bread
- if reheating, do it on a gentle heat so that the cheese does not stick to the base of the pan
- we made spiralized zucchini to garnish the soup
- the parmesan we used is the sort you buy in cello packets, or cannister’s next to the dried pasta shelf. We don’t ordinaringly use this for putting on our pastas, but add it to soups for the extra umami flavour it brings. We find that this particular dried cheese really brings it’s own party to the dish. Feel free to use parmagiano reggiano, or grana padano cheese if you like.
- soup freezes well
- Category: soups
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Australian
Keywords: zucchini and pesto soup